Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Dreaming of Spring

White Flowers, Seattle, Washington, USA

White Flowers,...
William Sutton
Buy This at Allposters.com


We've had a wave of balmy weather recently here in Michigan, and days like today make me start dreaming of the spring.

Naturally, I headed for my seed catalogs.

Up until now, I'd just been piling them up as they arrived, so I really had no idea what I had. Some companies keep you on their mailing list year after year; other make you ask for one every time. My stash seems a mite thin today, so I guess I'm going to have to start ordering some free catalogs. Here are a few of my favorite site -- if you don't have any of them yet, you can order yours by following the links:

Burpee's, of course, is the standard for gardening catalogs. I just love the Burpee catalog, and even if I don't end up ordering anything from them in a particular year, I love to browse their catalog just to see what's new.

Thompson and Morgan is an old company that's been producing catalogs since 1855.

Seed Saver's Exchange is actually a non-profit organization, and they're the largest non-governmental seed bank in the country. They sell heirloom and certified organic products only, and are a very good source if that's what you're looking for.

I love the Gurney's catalog. I notice that my copy has coupons on it that expire 2/15/12, and they seem to be considerable values, so I'd suggest that you order this one right away.

Michigan Bulb Company is one of my favorite firms. If you're not from Michigan, don't be put off by the name of the company -- they'll send you a catalog based on your own hardiness zone, regardless of where you live. I've been a fan of theirs for many years. They used to advertise a few particularly spectacular deals in the Sunday paper -- 100 spring flower bulbs for $1.99, or something like that -- to draw in business, and it worked with me. Their deals these days aren't quite that good, but they're still not bad. (I notice that I don't have mine yet, so I guess that's one you need to order every year. Last year it had coupons that expired in February, too.)

How about you? Do you have a favorite source for seeds and bulbs?

No comments:

Post a Comment